Sunday, May 31, 2009

Summer of Postcards

I just wrote out ten postcards and I'm not even on vacation.
"Why?" you ask. Well, long ago in the Jurassic days before Twitter, Facebook, email, cell phones and text messaging, my brother and his friends communicated by post cards. I'd make some out of boxes and other materials and send them to my bro wherever he was living. He'd send home some classics, too. Jackalopes and popes and anything that wasn't a typical vacation-style card.

Over the years, everyone pretty much got out of the habit. After all, technology makes things so much faster and easier.

But is faster and easier always more desirable?

A few weeks ago, one of the Pastafarians (Those of you who are familiar with my annual visits to Cape Cod for the reunion of friends and family know what this means.) suggested we go back and recapture the joy this summer. I've embraced the card adventure -- that's cod if you're from Massachusetts. Yesterday, I picked up 10cards at a souvenir shop and bought stamps at the post office. Post card love takes some effort.

You folks on Twitter who are proud of yourselves for communicating in 140 characters or less, eat your hearts out. I wrote my messages as haiku on seven of the ten cards.

I look forward to mailing these out tomorrow. I also look forward to eventually receiving some from others who are participating in our summer of postcard love.

When did you last send a postcard to someone?

4 comments:

Hisle said...

Me? Personally? It's been a long time, but my 6 year old daughter loves to send out homemade postcards and greeting cards.

Mary Stella said...

I got my first postcard from another Pastafarian today!

FerfeLaBat said...

Post cards! I love those things. Twitter is better though

Karen from Mentor said...

Mary,
This is off topic, but I know you are a fellow fiendish Konrath follower...(say that three times fast)
Joe came in today to play ten questions tuesday with me....needless to say...he didn't disappoint..
come over and say howdy.

http://miscellaneousyammering.blogspot.com/

Karen :)