Saturday, July 16, 2011

Mattress Dancing

I'm going mattress shopping in a little while.  I guess that's more mattress rolling than dancing, but dancing made for a better blog title. 

We spend around a third of every day in bed, give or take an hour, so choosing the mattress is no decision to take lightly.  I've been thinking about it for awhile, testing and assessing different hotel beds when I travel and asking some friends what they've chosen.  Guess you could say I've been sleeping on the matter before actually going shopping.

I really like the beds in some hotel chains like the Hampton Inns, Sheratons or Westins.  Sealy makes the mattresses for one chain; Serta the other two, I think.  I'm also considering Tempur-Pedic but I couldn't find a hotel chain that uses them, so I don't believe I have first hand, or first body, experience with that make.

The commercials are certainly enthusiastic for the Tempur-Pedic and, honestly, people who own them stop just short of bursting into actual song when singing their praises. 

Choices, choices, choices.

Thing is, with the exception of the Soma watermattress I bought, and loved, years ago, I've never shopped for a regular mattress before.  Apparently there's a process to follow and I should be prepared to take my time.  Literally.  According to things I've read, I should lie down on each mattress I'm considering and stay there for at least 15 minutes to see how my body feels about the degree of support, plushiness and other qualities.  After narrowing down the options, before I make that final commitment, I'm supposed to lie on the chosen mattress for a minimum of half an hour! 

This could take hours.  What's the etiquette of mattress shopping in this manner?  Does the salesperson stay with you the whole time?  Do you converse during the trial period?  I read in bed every night before turning off the light and actually going to sleep.  Should I bring my Kindle, to help kill the time if nothing else.  What if I get sleepy?  I can't imagine taking an actual nap on display in a furniture store. 

Do they sanitize the mattresses after someone has taken them for a test lie?  Not for nothing, but it's freaking hot in Florida right now.  People sweat walking from their cars into the stores.  Do they wait long enough for the air conditioning to dry their bodies?  Are they leaving sweat droplets or flaky skin on the mattress I'm about to stretch out on? 

Come to think of it, are those mattresses marked as samples only or do they later get sold as new by the stores?  When my new mattress is delivered, how many other bodies will have been on it before it gets to my house?  Maybe I should sanitize it once it's home.

I can tell that shopping for a new sleeping system is far from restful.  I'd best get ready to go.

I wonder if anyone has actually worn pajamas to test out mattresses.

Have a great Saturday, everybody.

11 comments:

lora96 said...

I love love love my serta and it's not exactly new.

My parents bought a tempurpedic and had to return it b/c it stank. The foam off=gassed some kind of stench. Ew.

Good luck!

Sleepys Mattress Discount said...

Thanks for the useful information! This campaigns is really good and I would also love to note that the Mattress blog , So nice & beautiful.

Thanks
James
“Sleepys coupon “

Mary Stella said...

Wow. Someone's search engines are working great. My blog about mattresses earned me a comment from a mattress store in Canada!

Latex Mattresses said...

Hey! Thnx for this i was searching for dis So long , Thnx a Tonn Latex Mattresses

Hope said...

You know, I've never bought a new mattress. All of my mattresses have been inherited from other people.

Hope said...

You know, I've never bought a new mattress. All of my mattresses have been inherited from other people.

Andre1992 said...

I like the blog and also the articles here. I enjoy reading them.
Sleepys Mattress

Jack1992 said...

This is great! Thank you for the information and sharing ideas.

Sleepys

Pauline Payne said...

Manifestly, if your bed mattress isn't homy, you're not achievement to get a nice nighttime's sleep. Since you spend about a position of your chronicle in bed, that means you're feat to end up being quietus deprived, existence troubled, undergo embody pain- and maybe flush prettify ill. Level if you drop a lot of quantify shopping for the most comfortable bed mattress you can exploit, it can end up feeling too lignified or too merciful article and undergo out how to micturate your bed mattress homely.



Sleepys

Claudia Kitchen said...

This mattress dancing is really amazing. Nice information, valuable and excellent design, as share good stuff with good ideas and concepts, lots of great information and inspiration, both of which we all need, thanks for all the enthusiasm to offer such helpful information here. I'm sure this is really comfortable to sleep and 100% safety. I will check this out. Thanks.

Maria Miller said...

Thanks very much for this awesome Article. Nice topic to write about on your Blog. I might set a bookmark from another Website. Thanks for the information.

Sleepys Mattress